Bedtime stories are here to stay so choose a book together and snuggle up!

Learning to read is vital but perhaps of equal importance is instilling a love of reading in our children.  At Ladybird, we focus on helping children learn to love reading and one simple way parents can encourage this is by reading with their child.

Most of us have fond memories of sharing a bedtime story with a parent or grandparent. Reading stories together is a fun, warm and loving experience and the perfect way to end a day. However, the feedback from some parents in a  much publicised recent poll by Littlewoods, has suggested that the traditional bedtime story is dying out, with 36% of parents with children under seven, never picking up a book with their little ones and of those who do read to their children, only 1 in 5 making time for a story before bed every night. The main reasons given are lack of time, being too stressed or the fact that they feel their child would prefer to watch TV or play with toys or computer games.

In response to the survey, children’s author Francesca Simon rushed to the support of bedtime reading and speaking in The Guardian, said:  “Reading to your kids is the absolute best time parents and children have together. I say this not only as a writer but as the parent of a now grown-up son. You snuggle up; it's calm and cosy. There is nothing that reduces stress more than 20 minutes of reading together.”

Bedtimereading2
Ladybird mum Jo snuggles up with Olive for a bedtime story by torchlight on a family camping trip!

In today’s world, there is no doubt that parents are time poor, but according to the Books Beyond Bedtime Report from Oxford University, even 10 minutes bedtime reading a day with your child can really boost their development. Perhaps surprisingly – particularly for those of us who also have older children who are now enjoying reading to themselves – the report recommends that bedtime reading shouldn’t automatically stop once children are able to read independently, as sharing a bedtime story can benefit them too.

What to read? How to read?

If you want to read more with your children at bedtime and don’t know where to start or what they’ll enjoy, we’ve pulled together some useful links below. So whatever age or stage your child is you’ll find just the thing.

Win a bundle of bedtime reading books from Ladybird!
We’re giving away THREE bundles of Ladybird books, including this lovely new Ladybird Bedtime Tales for Children:

Bedtimetales

Chickenlickenspread

Ladybird Bedtime Tales for Children -  Chicken Licken

We'd love to hear your tips for bedtime reading, whether it’s with a one year old or seven year old, whether it’s once a day or once a month, let us know what you do, by leaving a comment below and we’ll pull three winners out of the hat*!

*Terms and conditions: enter by midnight, 29.10.13 by leaving your comment below. Winners will be notified Tuesday 30.10.13.  Three randomly selected winners will each receive a prize of four Ladybird books, which will include a copy of Ladybird Bedtime Tales for Children.

58 thoughts on “Bedtime stories are here to stay so choose a book together and snuggle up!

1. Bryony Braschi says:

My son gets three bedtime stories – he always tries to claim a comic is “one book” and wants to read the whole thing! I love it when my three year old snuggles up with his baby sister to listen to the story.
    He often likes me to make up stories instead of reading from a book, which can be hard work. I’m sure sometimes my stories are absolute nonsense as I’m fairly sleep deprived, but he doesn’t seem to mind.

2. Ewa Siwiec says:

If you are reading to put your kids to sleep try reading slowly, quietly without any acting and stressing out any ‘sleepy’ words in the book if you can find them like: tired, bed, etc.

3. Amy says:

We’ve always read to our 3 year old daughter at bedtime. It’s the best part of our routine as we both enjoy it. We read 2 books every night which sometimes she lets me choose. I buy her so many books so it’s nice for me to actually read the stories I buy and know that she’s enjoying them.

4. Nicola Holland says:

We have always read a bedtime story to our now nearly 5 year old son – he chooses one and then Mummy, Daddy and big sis also choose one, so he has atleast 4 stories a night if everyone home at bedtime. This way he gets a variety of stories and we don’t have to read the same one each night….he now refuses to go to bed without a story but we love it!

5. sharon gooding says:

My daughters are older now but I used to find that reading night times was OUR time. The time when no one is there to disturb you, the time when you don’t answer the phone, the time when you’re not working. It’s a very important part of a child feeling loved and special as they fell close to you.

6. Thank you so much to everyone who has left a comment. It has been so fantastic to read how you read with your children at bedtime (and at other times too!). Thank you so much for sharing. The winners have now been selected and notified.

7. Wow that is amazing how only 1 in 5 parents are reading to little ones at night, I think its so important to read to children. Just saw an article yesterday that in the states they are really pushing for parents to read to their children and from birth its really important for childrens development. They are recommending all doctors start to encourage parents to read at least one story to their children every day.

8. Denis says:

I have been reading to my granddaughter since she was six months old,doing my best to bring the pages alive with my own brand of histrionics.Now that she is 5 years and 8 months old ,she is repaying the compliment by reading to me