Happy New Year! We thought we’d kick off 2014 looking at one of those big steps in a little one’s life – moving from a cot to a ‘big’ bed!
Most children move into their first bed between 18 months and three years and if your little one has outgrown their cot or there is another baby on the way, it might be time for them to start sleeping in a big bed. Obviously this is a really exciting moment and an important stage in growing up, but understandably they might feel a bit anxious about the move and so we’ve put together a few tips to help things go smoothly:
• Let them choose their new bed. There are some themed or character beds which will really capture their imagination!
• Choose bedding they like, e.g. a duvet cover with their favourite character. Or they might like to keep some of their cot bedding for a while for extra reassurance, even if it’s a bit small.
• If your child is anxious, read a book about moving from a cot to a big bed. In the latest book from pre-school favourites Pirate Pete and Princess Polly, they have outgrown their cots and are moving into their new ‘big’ beds. Pete and Polly make this a fun adventure and reassuring, there’s even a sound button to cheer your little one along!
• If the bed is self-assembly –you could let them ‘help’ put the bed together.
• On the day they move into their new bed, make sure they are quite tired and ready to snuggle down! Keep to your usual bedtime routine – bath, pjs, teeth, story.
• Keep their usual teddies – there’s room for all of their teddies in their bigger bed!
• If you buy a single bed rather than a toddler bed (a toddler bed is smaller and lower than a single bed, often with guard rails on the side), they might need a bolster or bed guard to stop them falling out.
• Some parents put a stair gate at the bedroom door to stop any wandering, as they will now be more mobile!
Win Win Win!
We have two copies of Pirate Pete My Big Boy Bed and two copies of Princess Polly My Big Girl Bed to give away. To enter, please let us know what tips have worked for you, or which you are planning to try out – and we will pick four winners at random. Leave your comment below by midnight 26th January 2014 and do let us know if you’d like a Polly or a Pete book!
UPDATE 28.1.14. Thanks to everyone who has left a comment, we have really enjoyed reading your tips. The winners have now been selected and contacted.